Doctor and surgeon Konstantinos Michael Konstantinidis is the founder of Robotic Surgery in Greece and a pioneer in the field internationally. He has performed over 3,000 General Surgery operations using the innovative da Vinci robotic system, a number that constitutes the largest series in Europe.
His compassion for his fellow man and his passion for Medicine brought him early on in his career to the forefront of the scientific avant-garde and the battle for life:
- From Karpathos, his birthplace, and Rhodes, where he graduated from the Venetokleion Gymnasium / Lyceum, he moved to Thessaloniki and the Aristotle University, where he graduated from the Medical School earning a scholarship from the State Scholarship Foundation for all his years of study.
- He then moved to the United States, where he was admitted for the General Surgery specialty at Riverside Hospital of Ohio State University School of Medicine.
- In the last year of his specialty, he received the honorary title of "Chief Resident".
- He was then elected Assistant Professor of Surgery at the same University and later Adjunct Professor of Surgery.
- During his stay in the USA, he served as Director of the Surgery Clinic of Riverside Methodist Hospital, where he performed surgery and taught General Surgery, Laser Surgery and Laparoscopic Surgery for a number of years.
After 12 years of stay and a brilliant career in the USA, he returned to Athens in 1991 at the invitation of the President of Athens Medical Group, Mr. G. Apostolopoulos, in order to undertake the foundation, management and staffing of the Laparoscopic Surgery and Laser Applications department, for the first time in Greece.
From 1991 until today:
- The department he founded and manages ever since, has been constantly offering the most modern surgical techniques, such as Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery and Robotic Surgery, to a great number of patients from all over Greece and abroad.
- He has performed over 16,000 operations of Laparoscopic Surgery and over 3,000 of Robotic Surgery!
- He has trained in Laparoscopic Surgery many dozens of Greek and foreign surgeons.
- He has organized many intensive postgraduate training seminars in Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgery and has been actively involved as a supervising/teaching surgeon in several hospitals for the first laparoscopic surgical operations taking place in their premises.
Since 2006, for the first time in Greece and SE Europe, he has been performing Robotic Surgery, using the innovative da Vinci system, expanding the scope of the field and performing pioneering surgical procedures with global impact, such as Whipple's robotic pancreatectomy lasting 24 hours (!) without any complication for the patient postoperatively.
His medical and scientific work is receiving international acclaim:
- He is a Supervising Surgeon (Proctor) of Robotic Surgery in many university hospitals in Europe and especially in the UK!
- He has presented dozens of pioneering case studies on Laparoscopic and Robotic surgery at many conferences in Greece and abroad.
- He has organized and served as President of three World Congresses of Robotic Surgery.
- From January 2013 he took over the duties of Scientific Director at Athens Medical Group.
- From January 1, 2020 he is the Governor of the American College of Surgeons for Greece Chapter
- He is the Secretary of the Clinical Robotic Surgery Association (CRSA).
- He is a member of the International Board of Directors of the Society of Robotic Surgery, SRS
- He is the Honorary President of the South Eastern European Robotic Surgical Society.
As a result of his extensive experience in Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgery, he was selected by the manufacturer Intuitive Surgical to be the first surgeon in the world to apply robotic surgery through a single incision (Single Site), a technique first introduced in March 2011 at Athens Medical Center.
He has already performed more than 600 operations with this technique, including the world's first single site robotic cholecystectomy in an 8-month pregnant woman!